Thursday, 28 January 2016

A Beginning


I’m starting this blog to document my personal experience of living with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) (CKD), my thoughts on the impact the condition has only my life and that of my family. A sounding board and a record of my journey to maintain a normal life for as long as possible.
I am a man, in my late thirties, living in Surrey with my wife and two young children. I was diagnosed with Stage 3 CKD around three and a half years ago with an GFR around 30. It wasn’t as big as surprise as it may have been for some people as there is a history of kidney issues in my immediate family and I’d known for several years that one of kidneys was unusually small although there were no a side effects to set alarm bells ringing. Since the diagnosis I’ve been on medication to reduce my blood pressure with visits to the nephrology clinic very four months.
The reason for starting this blog now, and not three years ago, is that in January 2016 I was advised by my consultant nephrologist that my GFK has now fallen to 27 and if it continues to trend down I could require dialysis and transplant listing in as little as three to four years. Up to now my CKD has had little negative impact on my life; apart from taking my pills, cutting back on salt, but sadly failing to get my weight under control, but now most substantial changes are required to ensure I see my kids grow to adulthood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment